Finding out your child has type 1 diabetes can be overwhelming. Once the initial shock passes, the intense education process begins. JDRF would like to extend a helping hand with their Bag of Hope. The Bag of Hope program offers tools to learn about diabetes and opportunities to meet other families going through the similar challenges.
The Bag of Hope is a free canvas tote bag filled with a comprehensive collection of educational, comfort and support material for children ages newborn to 11 as well as materials for the adult caregiver. Included in the bag are the following items:
- Rufus (or Ruby) the Bear - a cuddly stuffed animal with diabetes
- Accu-Chek Compact Blood Meter
- Carbohydrate Counter Slide Tool
- Living with Juvenile Diabetes: The Worst Day of my Life and How I Survived It (VHS video)
- Living With Juvenile Diabetes: A Practical Guide for Parents and Caregivers (book)
- Your Child Has Diabetes: A parents guide for managing diabetes in children (book)
- Rufus Comes Home (book)
- Taking Diabetes to School (book)
- Two coloring books
- JDRF information and information on the local JDRF chapter
Note: When you contact the Capitol Chapter office (by the online form or by phone), they will give your information to a Family Connections mentor in your area. This volunteer mentor is a parent of a child with diabetes, and he or she will contact you to set up a meeting to deliver the Bag of Hope in person. Visits are scheduled at the mutual convenience of the volunteer and family. (Alternatively, the Bag of Hope will be mailed to your home and a mentor will contact you by phone.)
This offer is for Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, or West Virginia. Another link: http://www.jdrfcapitol.org/bag-of-hope/
Urban Shop 15 x 15 Dice Ottoman Just $19.99!
1 hour ago